We have an extensive stock list, much of it housed with the group and some on loan to other preserved steam railways. You can find more pictures of many of these in our gallery.
Although not all built in Scotland, most have Scottish connections.
- 12052 : Ex BR class 11 0-6-0 DE shunter, built Derby 1949.
Last worked Crouch Mining, Widdrington, Northumberland. Formerly cosmetically restored at Minnivey, this locomotive has been sold to the Caledonian Railway, Brechin, where it is in storage.
- 12093 : Ex BR class 11 0-6-0DE shunter, built Derby 1949.
Last worked Crouch Mining, Widdrington, Northumberland. Formerly stored at Dunaskin, has now been sold to Caledonian Railway Brechin, where it is currently in service as Brechin station pilot.
- Powfoot No 1 : 0-4-0DM : AB 347/1941.
Last worked commercially at Nobel’s Explosives/Royal Ordnance, Powfoot, Annan, Dumfriesshire. Based at Dunaskin, in working order. Currently undergoing a full repaint, as of Oct 2015.
- Yard No AC118 M3571 : 0-4-0DM : AB 366/1943.
Last worked Royal Naval Armament Depot, Beith, Ayrshire. This locomotive suffered considerable damage at the hands of scrap metal thieves, and is now beyond hope of restoration. It may possibly still be a source of spares for AB 347.
- BP No 7 144-7 : 0-4-0DM : AB 399/1959.
Last worked commercially at BP Refinery, Grangemouth. Now based at Dunaskin, in working order.
- Yard No 107 : 0-4-0DM : Hunslet Engine Co 3132/1944.
Last worked Royal Naval Armament Depot, Crombie, Fife. Now awaiting restoration at Dunaskin.
- Yard No BE116 DY322 : 4W DM : Ruston and Hornsby 224352/1943.
Last worked Royal Naval Armament Depot, Beith, Ayrshire. On static display at Dunaskin.
- M/C 324 “Blinkin Bess” : 4W DM : R & H 284839/1950.
Last worked Cochrane Boiler Works, Annan, Dumfriesshire. This was the first locomotive to be preserved by ARPG. Now awaiting restoration at Dunaskin.
- “Johnnie Walker” : 4W DM : R & H 417890/1959.
Last worked John Walker, Scotch Whisky Blenders, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire. Based at Dunaskin, partially restored. Presently being considered for full restoration, as of Oct 2015.
- R & H 0-4-0 DM 421697/1959.
Last worked Andrew Barclay Sons and Co, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire. Frames and engine only. Suffered massive damage at the hands of scrap metal thieves.
- Sentinel 4W DH 421697/1959.
Last worked British Coal Opencast Executive, Killoch Disposal Point, Ayrshire. This was the only diesel to work commercially on the Waterside system after the end of steam. Based at Dunaskin, in working order.
- “Tees Storage” : 0-4-0DH : North British 27644/1959.
Last worked Tees Storage Co Ltd, Middlesborough, Teeside. Based at Dunaskin, awaiting repair.
- Fowler 22888 built 1939 New to Royal Ordnance Factory, Bridgend , Glamorgan. 1951 to Colvilles Clyde Ironworks as No.1, via J.Fowlers. 1957 to Colvilles Mossend Engineering works, still as No.1, called Lily of the Valley. 29/3/70 to British Steel Corp.
General Steels Divn. To ARPG 28/2/1981; stored at Dunaskin, awaiting restoration.
- Donelli People Mover : 4W DMR : Donelli (Reggio, Italy) 163/1979.
Last worked British Steel Ravenscraig Works, Lanarkshire. In store at Dunaskin.
- DX68003 DB965331 : 4W DMR : Wickham 10179/1968.
Last worked BR Kilmarnock Works and Spean Bridge. Has now left Dunaskin.
- DX68002 DB965330 : 4W DMR : Wickham 10180/1968.
Last worked BR Kilmarnock Works and Spean Bridge. Has now been sold to a group based in Darlington.
All of our steam locomotives are products of Andrew Barclay, Sons and Co, Ltd, Caledonia Works, Kilmarnock
- NCB No 16 : 0-4-0ST, AB 1116/1910.
Former Dalmellington Iron Company loco.
Last worked at Barony Colliery, Ayrshire. Cosmetically restored; on display in the Engineers Shop at Dunaskin.
- NCB No 8 : 0-6-0T, AB 1296/1912.
Ex Polkemmet Colliery, NCB Lothian Area. Sadly, the cab, bunker, tanks and side rods of this locomotive were stolen from Minnivey by scrap metal thieves. The frames, wheels, cylinders and boiler survive at Dunaskin. Currently the subject of a proposal which may see this locomotive restored to full working order, as of Oct 2015.
- NCB No 19 : 0-4-0ST, AB 1614/1918.
Former Dalmellington Iron Company loco. Last worked at Dunaskin. Currently undergoing cosmetic restoration at Dunaskin.
- Shell Refining Co No 8 : 0-4-0 Fireless, AB 1952/1928.
Last worked at Shell Refinery, Ardrossan, where it was the last commercially worked steam locomotive in Scotland. Restoration of this unusual loco has now been completed and it was steamed for the first time in July 2015.
- NCB No 10 : 0-4-0ST : AB 2244/1947.
Always a Dunaskin locomotive, apart from a short spell after Pennyvenie closed. Now fully restored and with a replacement boiler, this locomotive is the Group’s regular working engine.
- NCB No 23 : 0-4-0ST : AB 2260/1949.
Originally a Fife area locomotive, it last worked at Bedlay Colliery, Lanarkshire. Recently cosmetically restored, on display at Dunaskin. Also being considered for full restoration, as of Oct 2015
- NCB No 25 : 0-6-0ST : AB 2358/1954. Ex Polkemmet Colliery, NCB Lothian Area. In store at Dunaskin, awaiting cosmetic restoration.
- NCB No 1 : 0-4-0ST : AB 2368/1955. Last worked at Cairnhill Colliery, Ayrshire. Now in store at Dunaskin, awaiting restoration. Currently undergoing an assessment prior to full restoration, as of Oct 2015.
Copyright 2015 Ayrshire Railway Preservation Group. All rights reserved. All images shown are with the Copyright Holders permission.
(page updated 12th Nov 2015 NG)